The CRC 1483 “Empatho-Kinaesthetic Sensory Systems” (EmpkinS) invites applications for
1 PhD position (m/f/d)
hosted at FAU and two other participating Universities, for interdisciplinary cutting-edge research in the field of medical technology. New positions will be posted here as soon as they open up.
The DFG funded Collaborative Research Centre – CRC 1483 – “Empatho-Kinaesthetic Sensory Systems” (EmpkinS) will investigate novel sensor and data transmission technology, as well as functional models of the human body and algorithms to enable an unobtrusive, contactless acquisition of movement parameters. Novel innovative human models create the link between the body’s internal status and the external view using sensor technology. With 19 exciting scientific subprojects, 24 interdisciplinary principal investigators, and 30 newly hired researchers working within the CRC, EmpkinS will provide a globally visible research environment.
We are looking for students and young researchers with outstanding degrees in one of the following areas:
- Computer Science / Electrical Engineering / Mechanical Engineering / Medical Engineering: biomechanics modelling and simulation, (biomedical) signal processing, computer vision, integrated circuits, machine learning, neuromechanics, radar and optical sensor technology, wireless communications
- Medical Engineering Application areas in Medicine: investigation of diagnostic parameters derived from sensor data, pattern recognition in movement data, non-contact sensor technology, musculoskeletal function as a biomarker for disease activity
- Psychology: emotions and depression, assessment of depression-relevant kinesthesia, biofeedback-based cognitive reframing
- Theology: responsibility, controllability, consent, ethics in and by design, governance, normative analysis, qualitative-empirical studies
The Clinician Scientist positions are located at the Department of Medicine 3 – Rheumatology and Immunology and at the Molecular Neurological Department of FAU´s university hospital.
We offer a stimulating, interdisciplinary research environment within an enthusiastic team at an internationally-oriented, open-minded and highly ranked university. FAU is one of the largest universities in Germany – home to more than 38,000 students, including more than 5,000 from abroad. FAU is the most innovative university in Germany (Reuters ranking) and one of the most successful universities in third party funding exceeding 210 million Euro in 2020.
The doctoral studies will be embedded in the CRC’s own Integrated Research Training Group (IRTG) including a structured, interdisciplinary program with other young researchers from engineering, humanities, and medicine. Attainable doctoral degrees are Dr.-Ing., Dr. phil., and Dr. rer. hum. biol.
The promotion of the Clinician Scientists will be carried out within the framework of a structured training programme of FAU’s Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research (IZKF) with protected research time of 18 months full-time equivalent. Candidates need to have successfully completed doctorate to Dr. med. and already started in specialist training.
FAU is a family-friendly employer and intends to increase the number of women in research and teaching positions and, therefore, strongly encourages female researchers to apply. In its pursuit of academic excellence, FAU is committed to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture and values diversity.
- Master´s degree or comparable from a first-class university with a grade well above average
- profound knowledge in one of the research areas listed above
- excellent knowledge of written and oral English (C1 and above)
- ability for cooperation and research in an interdisciplinary team
- excellent social skills, high motivation and commitment
Program details and contact
The project start date is July 1 or later. This is a temporary position that is at least available for 3 years. Remuneration is based on the collective agreement for civil servants in Germany. Prospective applicants should apply with a motivation letter, academic CV and certificates as one document. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Please note, that successful applicants are going to be invited to an oral assessment. It is planned to be carried out in form of two short presentations and an interview held via video conferencing.
More information on the subprojects, the positions and our team can be found below.
Scholarship opportunity: President’s Welcome Award
Applicants for a PhD position at EmpkinS are eligible to apply for the President’s Welcome Award, a mentorship and scholoarship programme at FAU. To learn more, please visit: https://www.fau.eu/presidents-welcome-award/. We look forward to your application.
Dr.-Ing. Heike Leutheuser